75 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
⅓ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
¼ cup golden syrup
1 egg yolk
1 ⅓ cups plain flour
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
330 g packet royal icing mix
1 ½ - 2 tbsp water
white & gold sugar pearls (cachous) or sprinkes
- Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in syrup and yolk until combined. Transfer to a large bowl. Add combined sifted flour, ginger and soda. Stir until just combined.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured bench. Bring dough together with your hands. Shape into a flat disc. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough between two sheets baking paper until 5mm thick. Using a 6.5cm bell-shaped cutter, cut out 26 shapes, re-rolling dough as necessary.
- Using a skewer, make a small hole 2cm from top of each bell. Place about 3cm apart, on two large oven trays lined with baking paper.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 10 to 12 minutes, swapping trays halfway through, or until light golden and firm to touch. Remove trays from oven. Insert skewer in holes again to make slightly larger. Cool on trays.
- To decorate, place icing mix in a bowl. Stir in just enough water until a smooth, thick piping consistency. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 2mm plain nozzle.
- Working with one biscuit at a time, decorate with icing and sugar pearls. Stand at room temperature until set. Insert ribbon into holes of biscuits. Tie ends together to form loops.