1 cup boiling water
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
125 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
⅔ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup treacle
2½ cups plain flour
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp baking powder
Icing sugar mixture to decorate
extra ground cinnamon to decorate
- Lightly grease a 19cm x 30cm lamington pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above pan edges.
- Combine water and soda in a medium jug. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, beat butter and sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Transfer to a large bowl. Mixture may look curdled at this stage.
- Whisk in treacle, cooled soda mixture and combined sifted flour, spices and baking powder until combined. Pour into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Stand for 20 minutes in pan. Invert onto a wire rack to cool.
- Dust with sifted icing sugar and extra cinnamon. Cut into squares to serve.