250 g frozen shortcrust pastry sheets, partially thawed
75 g caster sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthways, seeds scraped
125 g unsalted butter, chopped
1 egg yolk
100 g almond meal
50 g brown sugar
juice 2 lemons
6 Crisp apples
2 Tbsp pure icing sugar, sifted
ice-cream to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced (200°C conventional). Put a pizza stone or heavy tile on middle oven shelf. Roll out pastry to a 30cm disc. Use to line a 25cm tart tin. Trim edges. Chill until firm. Line pastry with baking paper and fill with baking weights. Bake on stone for 12 minutes. Remove weights and paper (leave stone in oven). Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, put caster sugar, vanilla and 75g of the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium, using paddle attachment, for 5 minutes or until light. Add eggs, beat well then fold in almond meal.
- Spread filling in tart shell then chill again until firm.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining butter with brown sugar and lemon juice. Halve and core apples. Slice very finely. Toss in melted butter mixture. Set aside for 20 minutes to soften
- Arrange 12 apple slices in a row, overlapping, then roll up tightly. Position upright in filling. Repeat with remaining apple slices until tart is covered.
- Return tart to pizza stone. Bake for 45–60 minutes or until pastry is well browned and filling is set in centre. Dust with icing sugar. Bake for a further 5 minutes or until apple tops begin to darken. Serve with ice-cream and berries.