375 g packet dried mixed fruit
1 cup chopped pitted dates (130 g)
¼ cup chopped glace ginger (60 g)
1 cup strong black tea
150 g unsalted butter, chopped
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 small Granny Smith apple (150 g), coarsely grated
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 eggs, lightly beaten
¾ cup desiccated coconut
1 ¼ cups gluten-free plain flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pure icing sugar, to decorate
Christmas ribbon, to decorate
- Grease a 20cm x 7cm deep round cake pan. Line base and side with two layers of baking paper, extending 5cm above pan edges.
- Combine mixed fruit, dates, ginger, tea, butter and sugar in a large saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Remove. Stir in apple and soda. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool.
- Stir eggs into fruit mixture. Add coconut, combined sifted flour and cinnamon. Mix well. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a slow oven (150C) for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil during cooking if top starts to over-brown. Remove from oven. Wrap hot cake and pan in a clean tea towel. Cool overnight in pan.
- To serve, turn out cake and decorate with icing sugar and Christmas ribbon.