440 g can crushed pineapple in juice
375 g packet dried mixed fruit
1 cup chopped pitted dates
150 g unsalted butter, chopped
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 eggs, lightly beaten
¾ cup desiccated coconut
1¼ cups gluten-free plain flour
1 tsp mixed spice
gluten-free icing sugar mixture, Christmas ribbon and holly, to decorate
- Grease six 10cm round springform cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above pan edges.
- Combine pineapple, mixed fruit, dates, butter and sugar in a large saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Remove. Stir in soda. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool to room temperature.
- Stir eggs into fruit mixture. Add coconut and combined sifted flour and mixed spice. Mix well. Divide evenly among prepared cake pans. Smooth over tops.
- Cook in a slow oven (150C) for about 1 hour, 10 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven. Cool in pans.
- To give as gifts, dust sifted icing sugar over cakes. Tie with ribbon and decorate with holly.