250 g butternut pumpkin, cut into chunks (weighed after peeling)
150 ml whipping cream
freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
400 g gnocchi
1 tbsp grated parmesan or grana padano (or veggie alternative)
3 amaretti biscuits
2 handfuls rocket
½ lemon, juiced
- Put the pumpkin in a microwaveable bowl with 3 tbsp of water. Cover with clingfilm, pierce once, then microwave on high for 12-15 minutes until really soft. Tip the pumpkin (plus any water) into a small food processor or blender (or use a stick blender) with the cream and season. Grate over a little fresh nutmeg, then whizz to a smooth sauce.
- Meanwhile, put 1 tsp of oil in a frying pan with the butter, onion and garlic and cook gently over a low heat until softened but not coloured.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Tip the gnocchi into the pan once boiling and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Add the pumpkin sauce to the onion pan with the grated parmesan and warm together gently.
- When the gnocchi is ready, drain reserving a ladle of the cooking water. Tip the gnocchi straight into the sauce, and stir to coat – if the sauce is a little thick add a splash of the cooking water. Divide the gnocchi between 2 shallow bowls and crumble over the amaretti biscuits. Toss the rocket with 1 tsp of olive oil and the lemon juice, and top each bowl with a handful.