4 eschalots, peeled
2 lemon grass stalks, white part only
2 red chillies, chopped
6 whole black peppercorns
8 cloves garlic
1 x 8cm piece ginger
600 g skinless chicken thigh fillets, diced
1 pomelo, segmented and torn (see tips, below)
1 cup bean sprouts
1 bunch red shisho, leaves picked (see tips, below)
½ bunch mint, leaves picked
½ bunch fresh Vietnamese mint, leaves picked (see tips, below)
½ bunch Thai basil, leaves picked
1 tbsp palm sugar
3 small fresh green chillies, finely chopped
¼ cup durian fruit
juice of 2 limes
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp peanut oil
2 tsp sesame oil
½ cup fresh coconut, coarsely grated
- Use a mortar and pestle to pound eschalots, lemongrass, red chillies, peppercorns, 5 of the garlic cloves and ½ of the ginger until a paste forms. Alternatively, put in small bowl of a food processor and pulse. Put chicken and paste in a medium bowl. Toss well to coat and refrigerate for 10 minutes to marinate.
- Slice remaining ginger into fine batons. Put in a large bowl with pomelo, sprouts, shiso and herbs.
- Use a mortar and pestle to pound palm sugar, green chillies, durian and remaining garlic until a paste forms. Stir in lime juice, fish sauce and ½ the peanut oil until well combined.
- Heat sesame oil and remaining peanut oil in a wok over a high heat. Add chicken pieces, stir-frying for about 5 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Drizzle ½ of the dressing over salad and toss. Fold in chicken then arrange in bowls with a scattering of coconut. Serve with remaining dressing on the side.