375 g packet dried fruit medley
½ cup raisins, chopped
1 ½ cups plain flour
250 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
⅔ cup honey
¼ cup caster sugar
2 Tbsp breakfast marmalade
4 free-range eggs
½ cup self-raising flour
¼ tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp sweet sherry, plus extra
gold star sugar decorations, to decorate
1 ½ cups royal icing mix
2 Tbsp cold water
- Grease a 20cm round cake pan. Line base and side with four layers of baking paper, extending paper 5cm above pan edge.
- Combine fruit with ¼ cup of the plain flour in a large bowl. Toss to coat.
- Beat the butter, honey, sugar and marmalade in a large bowl of an electric mixer until combined. Beat in the eggs one at a time until just combined. Note, that the mixture may look curdled at this stage.
- Add combined sifted remaining plain flour, self-raising flour and soda with sherry. Stir until combined. Add to bowl with fruit mixture. Mix well. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a slow oven (150C) for about 2 hours, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil during cooking if top starts to over-brown. Remove from the oven.
- Brush extra sherry over hot cake. Cover with foil. Wrap cake in pan in a clean tea towel. Cool completely
- To make icing, combine icing mixture and water in a small bowl of an electric mixer. Beat the mixture for about 2 minutes, scraping down side of bowl occasionally until well combined.
- Turn out the cake on to a chopping board. Spread icing over top, pushing it to the edge so it starts to drip. Decorate with cachous and sprinkles. Stand at room temperature to set.