500 g dried tubetti (or other short pasta)
1 cauliflower, cut into 1 cm slices
60 g butter
5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 red onion, finely diced
Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
1½ tbsp curry powder
60 g plain flour
800 ml milk, warmed
100 ml pure cream
100 g parmesan cheese, finely grated
100 g Edam or cheddar cheese, diced
1½ cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water following pack instructions, adding cauliflower for last 6 minutes of cooking. Drain well, then return to pan off the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Add garlic and onion, then season with salt and pepper and cook for 4 minutes or until fragrant and softened.
- Add curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, then add flour and cook for 1 minute. Pour in warm milk and whisk to combine, then cook, whisking, for 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened and smooth.
- Add cream and ½ of the parmesan, then whisk until combined. Season with salt and pepper, then pour over pasta and cauliflower. Add diced cheese and stir through, breaking up any larger pieces of cauliflower a little as you go.
- Tip pasta mixture into a 12-cup capacity ceramic baking dish. Top with remaining parmesan and breadcrumbs and bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Serve.