4 cups milk (1 litre)
2 tsps vanilla extract
1 cup fine semolina (160 g)
½ cup caster sugar (110 g)
2 tsps finely grated lemon rind
100 g unsalted butter melted
12 sheets filo pastry sheets halved crossways
1 cup caster sugar (220 g)
1 cup water (250 mls)
2 tblsps lemon juice
orange rind 10 cm strip
1 cinnamon quill
- Bring milk and vanilla to boil in a large pan. Reduce heat to low. Whisk in semolina in a steady stream until smooth. Remove from heat. Place sugar and eggs in a large heatproof bowl. Whisk until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in 1 cup semolina mixture until smooth. Return mixture to pan with remaining semolina.
- Whisk over a medium heat for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Remove. Stir in rind. Cool.
- Brush base and sides of a 20cm x 28cm (14-cup capacity) ovenproof dish with melted butter. Trim half the filo sheets to cover base. Place one sheet over base. Brush with butter. Repeat layering with trimmed filo and half the butter. Spoon custard over.
- Trim remaining filo sheets to cover top. Lay one sheet of filo on top of custard. Brush with butter. Repeat layering with remaining filo and butter. Score top layer of pastry into 25 even squares.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 1 hour, 10 minutes, or until light golden.
- To make syrup, combine all ingredients in a small pan. Stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove orange rind and discard.
- Cut through scored filo. Pour hot syrup over. Stand for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm.