2 kg whole chicken
1 small orange quartered
3 garlic cloves peeled
2 tblsps vegetable oil (40 mls)
1 kg brushed potatoes washed, cut into 2cm pieces
salt to taste
¼ cup orange juice (60 mls)
2 tblsps honey
2 garlic cloves crushed
2 tblsps chopped fresh oregano
2 tsps ground cinnamon
2 tsps sweet paprika
2 tsps ground cumin
2 tsps cracked black pepper
1 tsp allspice
1 clove garlic finely chopped
½ cup fresh parsley finely chopped
2 tsp finely grated orange rind
¼ cup Greek feta crumbled
- To make the marinade, place juice, honey, garlic, oregano and half of each of the cinnamon, paprika, cumin, pepper and allspice in a bowl. Whisk well.
- Place chicken in a large dish. Brush outside and inside cavity with marinade. Cover. Refrigerate overnight, brushing occasionally with juices in the bowl.
- Next day, place the orange quarters and whole garlic cloves into the cavity of the chicken. Truss legs with kitchen string. Place chicken into a large, lightly oiled roasting pan. Drizzle with half the oil. Cover with foil.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 1 hour. Remove foil. Cook, uncovered, for a further 25 minutes, or until cooked through. Juices should run clear when pierced through the thigh with a sharp knife. Remove. Cover loosely with foil. Rest for 10 minutes.
- Toss potatoes in combined remaining spices and oil in a separate, large roasting pan. Season with salt. Transfer to same moderate oven (180C).
- Cook for 1 hour, turning halfway through, or until golden and crisp.
- To make gremolata, combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Serve chicken with potatoes. Sprinkle with some of the gremolata. Serve the remaining gremolata separately.