softened, unsalted butter, for greasing
200 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
2 egg yolks
2 cups plain flour
⅓ cup hazelnut meal
¾ cup sultanas
½ cup raisins
1 cup drained, canned morello cherries (pitted)
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tsp finely grated orange rind
1 tsp mixed spice
2 tbsp brandy
25 g unsalted butter, chopped
- Heavily grease two 12-hole non-stick, shallow patty pans with softened butter.
- To make filling, combine all ingredients, except butter, in a medium saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, or until liquid is almost evaporated and mixture is soft. Stir in butter until melted. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool.
- To make pastry, beat butter and sugar in the large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks. Beat until combined. Reduce speed to low. Add combined flour and hazelnut meal. Beat until just combined.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured bench. Bring dough together with your hands. Divide in half. Shape into flat discs. Cover. Refrigerate for 30 minutes until firm.
- Roll out one dough portion between two sheets of baking paper until 4mm thick. Using a 6.8cm round cutter, cut out 24 rounds. Line prepared pans with pastry rounds.
- Roll out remaining dough portion between baking paper to 3mm thick. Using a 6.8cm fluted round cutter, cut out 24 rounds.
- Spoon 1 tbsp filling into pastry cases. One at a time, lightly brush water over base of fluted rounds. Place on pies. Press edges together lightly to seal. Brush tops with water. Sprinkle over extra sugar.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven. Cool pies completely in pans. Gently loosen edges with a flat-bladed knife before lifting out of pans.