1 tbsp instant coffee granules
1.5 tbsp boiling water
2 eggs at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar (220 g)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups plain flour plus extra for dusting (340 g)
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup roasted hazelnut (60 g)
- Grease two large oven trays. Line with baking paper.
- Dissolve coffee in water in a small jug. Cool slightly.
- Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer for about 3 minutes, or until thick and creamy. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in coffee mixture. Sift combined flour and baking powder over top. Add hazelnuts. Stir until mixture forms a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured bench. Divide in half. Roll each half into a log shape, 30cm in length. Place on prepared trays.
- Cook in a slow oven (150C) for about 35 minutes, or until golden and firm to touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Using a serrated knife, cut into 1cm-thick slices. Place on same lined trays.
- Cook in a very slow oven (120C) for about 20 minutes, or until firm and dry. Cool on trays.