175 ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
3 large eggs
100 g light muscovado sugar
75 g clear honey, plus 2 tbsp for the icing
280 g self-raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
200 g parsnips, grated
75 g desiccated coconut
3 tbsp coconut flakes
300 g cream cheese
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan. Lightly grease a 22cm round loose-bottomed cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Put the eggs, oil, sugar and honey in a bowl and whisk for 3-4 mins until thick and creamy.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda over the mixture and fold in carefully, along with the parsnips and desiccated coconut. Spoon into the tin and bake for 45 mins until golden and firm to the touch. Push a skewer into the centre of the cake – if it comes out clean, then it is cooked. If it is still wet, cook for a further 10 mins. Transfer the cake to a wire rack and leave to cool completely before icing.
- Put the coconut flakes on a baking tray and put in the oven for about 5 mins until lightly toasted. Keep an eye on them, as they burn quickly.
- To make the icing, put the cream cheese and 2 tbsp honey in a bowl and beat together until smooth and creamy. Spread the icing over the top of the cooled cake and finish with the toasted coconut flakes.