240 g (1½ cups) wholemeal plain flour
225 g (1½ cups) plain flour plus extra for dusting
2 x 7 g sachets dried yeast
2½ tsp mixed spice
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
35 g (⅓ cup) desiccated coconut
50 g dried apricots, finely chopped
40 g currants
2 tbsp sunflower or pumpkin seeds
250 ml (1 cup) lukewarm low-fat milk
80 ml (⅓ cup) lukewarm water
50 g egg, lightly whisked
1 tsp light margarine or 50% reduced-sugar fruit spread, per slice, to serve
- Put flours, yeast, mixed spice, sugar, coconut, apricot, currants and sunflower seeds in a large bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Add milk and water to flour mixture. Using a flat-bladed knife, stir until the mixture starts to come together. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes or until smooth.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Put dough in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a clean tea towel. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 1½ hours or until dough doubles in size.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fan-forced). Line a large oven tray with baking paper. Use your fist to punch down the dough until it returns to its original size. Knead until smooth.
- Divide dough into 3 even pieces. Roll each into a 30cm length. Twist the 3 pieces together to form a plait. Put log on prepared tray. Cover with a tea towel and set aside for 10 minutes to prove.
- Brush log with a little egg. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until log is golden brown on top and sounds hollow when the underside is tapped. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To serve, cut into 1cm-thick slices and spread each with 1 tsp margarine or fruit spread.