What you need:
- 1 tube white frosting (or make this buttercream icing)
- Food colouring (pick 2 colours of your choice)
- Cupcakes (these vanilla cupcakes are perfect)
- Piping bag fitted with a 1cm star nozzle
- Divide 1 quantity of frosting or icing in half. Tint each portion a different colour (here, purple and blue). Using spatula, put equal amounts of purple frosting on opposite sides of bag fitting with 1cm star nozzle. Put equal amounts of blue frosting in gaps.
- Using your hands, press bag gently to marble colours. Push frosting towards nozzle, then squeeze out onto a work surface until a dual colour effect comes through.
- Using spatula, spread a little of the remaining frosting over top of cupcakes. Put nozzle at edge of cupcake and hold bag in an upright position. Squeeze out a dot, twisting and lifting bag away from surface to pipe a rosette. Repeat piping until surface is covered.
- Pipe 2 more layers of rosettes, starting 1 row in from edge each time.
If frosting or icing becomes too soft and doesn’t hold its shape, refrigerate for 10 minutes to firm up.