There’s no doubting the magic of artichokes – their unique flavouring adds some serious culinary class to many otherwise ordinary dishes, including soups, sauces, pizzas and roasts. Follow these steps below and enjoy!
- Prepare a bowl of water with the juice of a lemon added.
- Cut the stem from artichokes, leaving about 2cm.
- Pull off the outer leaves close to the base, dipping the artichoke into the water occasionally to prevent browning.
- Trim about 5cm from top of artichokes to expose the choke. Trim remaining leaves from around base of the choke with a sharp knife. Cut in half. Using a teaspoon, scoop out and discard the fuzzy choke from centres, then rinse well.
- Place into a saucepan of water with the juice of a lemon, 2 peeled garlic cloves and a few whole peppercorns. Bring to the boil, covered. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until artichoke hearts are tender.
- Serve hot, drizzled with melted butter, then season with salt and freshly ground pepper.