What you will need:
20cm Christmas cake, top only covered in marzipan and sugarpaste
For the decoration
- 3 unscented tea light candles
- ribbon, about 120cm in length
- sprigs bay leaves to decorate
- sprigs rosemary to decorate
- Arrange the tea lights in a triangle on the top of the cake. Mark their positions by pressing down lightly into the icing, then cut out and remove three circles from the icing, going right down to the marzipan. Insert the candles.
Insert the tea lights
- Loosely tie the ribbon around the middle of the cake, then drop a cinnamon stick at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock between the ribbon and the cake. One by one, fill in the gaps with the remaining cinnamon sticks. When they are all upright, tighten and tie the ribbon in a knot – you may find a second pair of hands helpful for this bit.
Add the cinnamon sticks
- Separate the bay into 3-leaf sprigs, then insert into the icing (we find the leaves look best if they all swirl around in the same direction). Add the rosemary, bending the stems a little to help if you need to, then fill in any gaps with single bay leaves. (Make sure that no leaves hang over or near where the candle flames will be). When ready to show off your cake, light the candles. Don’t leave the cake unattended.
Add the leaves