Proudly supported by
This is a no-fail meringue with a Swiss twist. Love!
5 free-range egg whites
1 Tbsp water
½ tsp cream of tartar
1 ¼ cups caster sugar
- Put egg whites, water and cream of tartar into a large heatproof bowl. Whisk until just combined.
- Add sugar and briefly whisk again.
- Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and cook, whisking, for 4 minutes or until sugar has dissolved and mixture is no longer grainy to touch when rubbed between thumb and pointer finger.
- Still set over water, but using an electric hand beater, beat mixture for 5 minutes or until thick and glossy.
- Remove bowl from pan and continue beating for a further 5 minutes or until mixture cools to room temperature and holds firm peaks. It is now ready to use.