How to make pickled beetroot
- 1kg of beetroots
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp allspice
- 6 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Give the beetroots a good wash and trim off leaves (leaving on the roots).
- Place in a pot and cover with water and bring to boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 25 minutes of until tender.
- Drain and allow beets to cool slightly.
- Trim off roots, stems and remove skins. You can leave beets whole or slice them.
- In a separate pot combine vinegar, water allspice, cloves, cinnamon and sugar. Bring to the boil then allow to simmer for five minutes.
- Stuff beets into a hot, sterilised jar leaving 2cm of space from the top. While jars are still hot pour in warm liquid to cover the beets, leaving 2cm of space.
- Fill a large stockpot halfway with water and bring to the boil. Place the jars in the water, pouring in extra eater if necessary until the jars are submerged in water. Bring to the boil and cover for ten minutes.
- Store for at least three weeks before opening once opened store in the fridge.
How long will they last?
You can store an unopened jar of beets in a cool dry space for between 12 and 18 months. Once opened they will last in the fridge for 1 to 3 months.
Scandi-style sausage hash with pickled beetroot
Sausage with a difference! great day to start the day with this Scandinavian style breakfast.