2 x 340 g packets golden buttercake mix
½ cup white baking melts, melted
Blue sparkle dust, blue, pearl and white cashous, to decorate
½ x 500 g packet white fondant icing
Toy doll (don't use your child's favourite doll as you will need to remove the legs)
250 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
2 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
blue food colouring paste
- Grease a Wilton Wonder mould pan set (12-cup capacity). Place pan on an oven tray.
- Prepare cake mixes, one at a time, according to packet directions. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean. Stand for 30 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make snowflakes, spoon chocolate into a small snap-lock bag and squeeze into one corner. Twist bag and snip tip of corner. Pipe 10 x 3cm snowflake-shapes onto a sheet of baking paper on a tray. Sprinkle with sparkle dust before chocolate sets. Stand at room temperature to set. Reserve remaining chocolate.
- To make frosting, beat butter in a large bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually add sugar, ½ cup at a time, beating until smooth. Tint light blue.
- Trim top of cake to sit flat. Invert onto a cake board. Spread over frosting to cover. Decorate front of cake with cachous, as pictured.
- Knead fondant on a clean bench until smooth. Tint blue. Knead until evenly coloured, dusting with icing sugar if fondant becomes sticky. Roll out between two sheets of baking paper into a circle about 5mm thick. Trim into a 24cm round. Cut out a quarter wedge and discard. Lift onto cake, making small folds for the dress as pictured. Decorate with snowflakes, using reserved chocolate as glue.
- Remove doll's legs. Insert torso into top of cake.