1.5 cups basmati rice
3.5 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
¼ tsp saffron
50 g ghee
2 onions finely chopped
3 cloves garlic crushed
2 tsps finely grated lemon rind
2 fresh bay leaves
¼ bunch fresh coriander to garnish
5 cardamom pods split, seeds removed, pods discarded
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp caraway seeds
½ tsp black peppercorns
- Rinse rice well. Transfer to a bowl. Cover with cold water, stand for 30 minutes. Drain.
- To make spice blend, pound all ingredients gently in a mortar and pestle until finely crushed.
- Place stock in a medium saucepan over a high heat. Add saffron. Boil. Remove from heat. Strain over a heatproof jug. Discard saffron. Cover stock.
- Heat ghee in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add onions, garlic, rind and leaves. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until onions are soft. Add rice and spices. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes, or until spices are fragrant and rice is well coated.
- Add hot stock to rice mixture. Simmer, covered, over a low heat, for about 15 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.
- Fluff pilaf with a fork. Serve garnished with coriander.