4 sheets frozen puff pastry partially thawed
1 egg lightly beaten
½ bunch fresh thyme to garnish
2 tbsp olive oil
1 kg chicken thigh fillets trimmed, thinly sliced
1 large leek halved lengthways, thinly sliced
100 g pancetta thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic crushed
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
½ cup dry white wine
¾ cup pure cream
¾ cup chicken stock
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp water
- To make filling, heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium to high heat. Add chicken in four batches. Cook, stirring for about 3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove.
- Add leek, pancetta, garlic and thyme to same pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until leek is soft. Add wine. Boil until reduced by half. Return chicken to pan with cream, stock and cornflour blended with water. Bring to boil, stirring, until slightly thickened. Transfer to a large bowl. Refrigerate until cold.
- Sandwich two pastry sheets together, with egg brushed over pastry in between layers. Cut out two circles, 11 ½ cm in diameter. Repeat with remaining pastry. Reserve scraps.
- Divide filling among four ovenproof ramekins (1 ½-cup capacity). Brush edge of ramekins with egg. Place pastry circles on top to cover filling, allowing pastry to over-hang by1cm. Press sides in firmly to seal. Cut a small cross in the top of each pie, to allow steam to escape. Brush with egg. Place on an oven tray.
- Cut out eight leaf shapes from pastry scraps. Arrange on top of pies. Brush with egg.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Remove. Stand for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with thyme sprigs.