2 tbsp olive oil
1 kg lean beef mince
1 onion finely chopped
1 medium carrot finely chopped
2 stalks celery finely chopped
4 garlic cloves crushed
1 cinnamon quill
2 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp plain flour
½ cup tomato sauce (125 ml)
2 cups beef stock (500 ml)
¼ cup fresh coriander leaves finely chopped (½ bunch)
6 sheets frozen puff pastry partially thawed
1 egg lightly beaten
1 tsp cumin seeds to garnish
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add mince in four batches. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes, or until browned. Remove.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic and cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until carrot is tender. Add powder and flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Return beef to pan with sauce and stock. Bring to boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in coriander. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl. Refrigerate until cold. Discard cinnamon.
- Grease six individual non-stick pie tins (1-cup capacity). Make lids by inverting one tin onto one corner of each pastry sheet and cutting around it. Use remaining pastry to line bases and sides of tins. Cut around edges to trim excess pastry. Reserve scraps. Brush edges with egg.
- Divide filling among pastry cases, about 1 cup in each. Place lids over filling. Pinch edges to seal. Cut a small cross in tops of pies. Brush with egg. Sprinkle with seeds. Place on an oven tray.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 30 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Remove. Stand for 5 minutes before removing from tins.