2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 brown onion, roughly chopped
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 zucchini, roughly chopped
600 g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3 cm pieces
1 cup pitted green Sicilian olives
½ cup semi-dried tomatoes
60 g (about 2 cups) baby spinach leaves
500 g jar tomato-based pasta sauce
1½ cups chicken stock
2 tbsp cornflour
Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
½ cup shredded mozzarella
2 sheets frozen ready-rolled puff pastry, partially thawed
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Put oil, onion, carrot and zucchini in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat and cook for 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until chicken is almost cooked through. Stir in olives and semi-dried tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes, then add spinach and pour in sauce, reserving jar.
- Put stock and cornflour in reserved jar and secure lid. Shake well to combine, then add to pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes until sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer chicken mixture to a 25cm-round, 4.5cm-deep ovenproof pie dish.
- Scatter mozzarella over filling. Cut pastry into strips about 2cm thick. Line edge of dish with pastry strips.
- Arrange strips over filling in a lattice pattern.
- Brush pastry with a little of the beaten egg. Sprinkle with oregano and sesame seeds, then bake for 15-20 minutes or until pastry is golden.