15 g dried porcini mushrooms
2 kg pork and veal mince
2 large onions, finely chopped
1½ cups dry red wine
2 x 500 g jars onion and garlic tomato-based pasta sauce
375 g pappardelle pasta
Chopped, fresh parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water over mushrooms in a heatproof bowl. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large, oiled, non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add mince in four batches. Cook, using a wooden spoon to break up mince, for about 5 minutes, or until changed in colour. Transfer to a removable bowl of a 5 to 6-litre capacity slow cooker.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions to same hot, oiled pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add to slow cooker. Pour over combined wine and sauce with mushrooms and soaking water. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cover with lid.
- Cook on low for about 7 hours, or until mince is tender and sauce is thick.
- Once ragu is cooked, add pasta to a large saucepan of boiling, salted water. Boil until tender. Drain.
- Serve pasta topped with ragu. Garnish with parsley.