3 x 440 g packets golden butter cake mix
50 g ready-to-roll white icing
50 g ready-to-roll pink icing
½ cup white chocolate melts, melted
1 ice cream cone
edible gold glimmer sugar
pink and white sugar pearls
300 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
3 cups icing sugar mixture
1 Tbsp milk
250 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
2 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
1 Tbsp milk
pink food colouring gel, plus purple
- Grease three x 20cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above pan edges.
- Prepare cake mixes, one at a time, according to packet directions, reserving icing sachets for another use. Spoon each into a cake pan. Smooth tops
- Cook two cakes in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 50 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Remove. Stand in pans for 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining cake.
- To make ears, roll out white icing between two sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Using a 6.5cm leaf cutter, cut out two shapes. Repeat with pink icing, using a 4cm leaf cutter. Place pink shapes onto white shapes. Stand at room temperature for 2 hours, or until firm.
- Spoon chocolate over wafer cone to cover, allowing excess to drip away. Sprinkle with shimmer powder. Stand upright to set.
- To make frosting, beat butter in a small bowl of an electric mixer until pale. Beat in sugar, ½ cup at a time, until smooth. Beat in milk. Set aside.
- To make coloured frosting, repeat method for frosting. Divide between two bowls. Tint one pink and the other purple using gels. Alternately spoon both frostings into a piping bag fitted with a 15mm star nozzle. Twist top.
- To assemble, trim top of cakes to sit flat. Sandwich together with ¼ cup frosting between each one, on a cake board. Spread top and side with remaining frosting.
- Place cone on cake. Pipe coloured frosting on top and down one side for hair. Decorate with pearls and icing flowers. Insert ears
- Cut two x 0.5cm wide x 4cm lengths from licorice. Arrange on cake for eyelids. Cut eight x 0.5cm wide x 0.5cm lengths. Arrange on eyelids for lashes.