12 chicken drumsticks (2 kg)
Lime cheeks, and kidney beans and rice (see below), to serve
Fresh coriander, to garnish
4 green spring onions, chopped
2 long red chillies, chopped
4 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1½ tbsp ground allspice
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tsp dried thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Process onions, chillies, ginger and garlic until finely chopped. Add sugar, sauce, allspice, lime juice and thyme. Season. Process to combine.
- Cut two slits crossways, about 2cm apart, down to the bone in each drumstick. Place in a large bowl. Add prepared marinade.
- Cook chicken, in three batches, on an ovenproof grill plate for 5 to 7 minutes, then transfer to a moderate oven.
- Cook 3 sliced green spring onions and 2 cloves crushed garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan until soft. Add 1½ cups rinsed long-grain rice, 3 cups chicken stock and a drained 400g can red kidney beans. Bring to boil. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 12 minutes, or until rice is tender. Remove from heat. Serve immediately topped with extra sliced green spring onions.
- To make marinade, place onions, chilli, ginger and garlic in food processor. Process until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients. Process until combined.
- Make two cuts crossways, about 2cm apart, down to the bone in each drumstick. Place in a large bowl with marinade. Toss to coat evenly. Refrigerate, covered, for 2 hours, or overnight to marinate.
- Heat a large, oiled ovenproof grill plate over a high heat. Add chicken in three batches. Cook, turning occasionally, for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until charred all over. Return all chicken to grill plate. Transfer to oven.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through, turning halfway through cooking.
- Serve chicken with lime cheeks, and kidney beans and rice. Garnish with coriander.