Ooh, la la! What's better than pudding? What's better than a croissant? Something that combines them both, of course!
8 x 70 g croissants
1 cup strawberry jam
⅓ cup flaked almonds
6 eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup caster sugar
300 ml carton pure cream
2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
icing sugar mixture, to decorate
vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- Lightly grease an ovenproof dish (8-cup capacity).
- Cut croissants in half horizontally. Spread half the jam over one cut side of each croissant. Sandwich back together. Arrange, slightly overlapping, in base of prepared dish. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Whisk eggs and sugar in a large jug until combined. Add cream, milk and vanilla. Whisk to combine. Pour over croissants. Dollop remaining jam over top. Cover dish with foil. Stand for 30 minutes to soak. Remove foil.
- Place dish in a large roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into pan to come halfway up the side of the dish.
- Cook, uncovered, in a moderate oven (180C) for about 35 minutes, or until custard is just set and top is golden. (Cover loosely with foil during cooking if top starts to over-brown).
- Remove from oven. Stand dish in roasting pan for 10 minutes. Remove.
- Dust with sifted icing sugar and serve warm with ice-cream.