3 x 340 g packets golden butter cake mix
1 packet red candy-coated chocolate buttons, or other colours of choice (such as Smarties or M&Ms)
1 bamboo skewer
1 black writing icing pen
1 white marshmallow
2 black jelly beans
1 large red gumball, or Jaffa mega-sized candy-coated chocolate pieces
3 x 180 g packets sour worm lollies
A small hat and bow tie, to decorate (see tip, below)
300 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
3 cups icing sugar mixture
yellow food colouring gel
blue food colouring gel
pink food colouring gel
- Grease a Wilton Sports Ball Pan Set (6-cup capacity). Place on an oven tray. Grease and line base and side of a 20cm round cake pan with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edge.
- Prepare cake mixes, one a time, according to packet directions. Spoon 2½ cups of mix into each half of ball pan. Spoon remaining mixes into round pan. Smooth over tops.
- Cook all pans in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, 10 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of each cake comes out clean. Stand for 30 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool.
- To make frosting, beat butter in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, ½ cup at a time, beating until smooth. Tint 1½ cups frosting blue. Tint ¼ cup frosting pale pink. Tint remaining frosting ivory.
- Trim top of 20cm round cake to sit flat. Invert onto a cake board. Spread top and side with blue frosting. Decorate base with M&M’s. Insert a skewer into centre of the cake.
- Cut a small piece off the rounded top of one of the ball cakes to sit flat. Place on the skewer. Spread with ¼ cup ivory frosting. Invert remaining ball cake on top. Cover with remaining ivory frosting. Spread pale pink frosting in two small circles for cheeks. Using writing icing, draw on a smile.
- Cut marshmallow in half, press a jellybean onto each cut side to make eyes. Position on cake, with gumball for nose and worms for hair. Decorate with hat and bow tie.