1 tbsp olive oil
1 leek, trimmed and sliced (white part only)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
1 cup (225g) freekeh
1.5 litres vegetable stock
Salt and pepper, to taste
100 g cavolo nero (Tuscan kale), finely chopped
1 tbsp grated fresh turmeric, to serve
- Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan or flame-proof casserole dish over medium heat. Add leek, garlic and bay leaf. Sauté for a couple of minutes until leek wilts and starts to turn golden.
- Add the freekeh and toast for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes until freekeh is tender.
- Reduce heat to low. Add chopped kale and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot topped with grated turmeric.