80 g hazelnuts, lighty toasted, skinned, finely chopped
55 g plain flour
55 g brown sugar
55 g butter, chopped, at room temperature
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
150 g caster sugar
½ bunch thyme, leaves picked
Finely grated zest of ½ lemon
9 ripe plums, halved, stones removed
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper. Put hazelnut, flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and cloves in a large bowl. Using your fingertips, rub mixture until crumbly. Sprinkle over 1 of the prepared trays. Bake for 10 minutes or until cooked and slightly crunchy. Set aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, put caster sugar, thyme leaves and lemon zest in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Put plum halves in a large bowl and add caster sugar mixture, then toss to coat. Arrange on second prepared tray. Pour over verjuice or apple juice and sprinkle over any sugar from bottom of bowl.
- Cover tray with baking paper and foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and paper, then bake for a further 10 minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Divide plum halves among 6 serving plates and top each with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. Drizzle over any pan juices and sprinkle hazelnut mixture on top. Serve immediately.