The new recipe has been created by KFC with Morgan Hipworth, owner of the artisan Melbourne-based bakehouse, Bistro Morgan, as part of the new Kentucky Fried Cookin’ series.
Morgan Hipworth's savoury cupcakes include mashed potato "cream" and a drizzle of gravy on top, and combines ingredients like yellow cornmeal and creamed corn into a bowl to form the base.
After baking, he decorates the cupcakes using KFC Potato & Gravy and Popcorn Chicken, and it looks rather intriguing to say the least.
Keep scrolling for the full Popcorn Chicken Savoury Cupcake recipe, which makes a batch of 15.
• 1 serve of large Potato & Gravy
• 1 large KFC Popcorn Chicken
For the cornbread cupcakes:
• 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
• 1 1/2 cups plain flour
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 2 tablespoons caster sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup canned creamed corn
• 125 grams melted butter
• 2 eggs
• 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 180℃.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and make a well in the centre. Add the remaining ingredients and gradually mix to combine.
- Divide between cupcake liners and bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pour the gravy from the potato and gravy into a bowl. Spoon the remaining potato into another bowl and stir to combine the potato and any remaining gravy.
- Transfer the potato to a piping bag fitted with a round nozzle.
- Pipe the potato on the top to resemble frosting on a cupcake. Top with 4-5 pieces of popcorn chicken and then spoon on around 1/2 tablespoon of KFC gravy to garnish.