400 g canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 fat clove garlic, roughly chopped
finely zested rind of 1 lemon
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sumac
2 tbsp chopped coriander or parsley
1 tsp salt
400 g lean lamb mince
½ cup plain yoghurt
1 pinch sumac
¼ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp lemon juice
6 shredded mint leaves
1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Place all ingredients except mince in a food processor and blend to a smoothish paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in mince with a wooden spoon or by hand.
- Roll into walnut-sized balls and place in an oven dish lined with baking paper for easy clean-up.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, shaking from time to time until evenly browned.
- Serve meatballs warm or at room temperature with yoghurt dip and a wedge of lemon (below).
- To make yoghurt dip combine, in a small bowl, plain yoghurt, sumac, cumin, lemon juice, mint leaves, and salt.