This traditional Middle Eastern dish is an easy way to make vegetables part of the meal.
2 eggplants halved lengthways (1 kg)
2 bunches english spinach trimmed, washed (600 g)
500 g lamb mince
400 g jar gluten-free tomato and olive pasta sauce
¼ cup pine nuts toasted
1 tub tzatziki to serve
- Using a small sharp knife, cut out flesh from eggplants, leaving a 1cm-thick shell. Finely chop flesh and reserve. Place shells in a roasting pan. Drizzle with 2 tblsps olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 30 minutes, or until tender. Remove. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat a large, deep frying pan over a high heat. Add spinach with 1 tblsp olive oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted. Remove. Keep warm.
- Add mince to frying pan in two batches. Cook, stirring occasionally, over a high heat until browned. Return mince to pan with sauce, ¼ cup water and reserved eggplant. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until sauce thickens and eggplant is tender. Stir in pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture among eggplant shells. Serve over spinach. Top with tzatziki.