¼ cup milk warmed
¼ tsp saffron threads
1 kg boneless leg of lamb trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
¼ cup vegetable oil
3 cups chicken stock
200 ml low-fat greek yoghurt
¼ cup mango chutney
2 cinnamon quills
1.5 cups basmati rice rinsed
1 large onion thinly sliced
2 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
2 tbsp pistachios chopped
¼ bunch fresh coriander sprigs to garnish
1 large onion chopped
2 small red chillies finely chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
4 cm piece fresh ginger peeled, chopped (50 g)
1 tblsp ground cumin
1 tblsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp sea salt flakes
cracked black pepper to taste
- Combine milk and saffron in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cook lamb in a large, non-stick frying pan, in two batches, over a medium to high heat. Use2 tsps oil per batch. Cook, turning occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish (16-cup capacity).
- To make biryani paste, place onion, chillies, garlic and ginger in a food processor. Process until a smooth paste forms. Add the remaining ingredients. Continue processing until well combined.
- Heat 1 tblsp of the oil in same frying pan over a medium heat. Add biryani paste. Cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 7 minutes, or until lightly golden. Stir in stock. Bring to a simmer. Pour over lamb in dish. Stir in yoghurt, chutney, cloves and cinnamon.
- Heat dish over a medium heat until simmering. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook rice in boiling salted water for 7 minutes only. Drain. Set aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a clean, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes, or until caramelised. Remove from heat.
- Spoon rice evenly over lamb. Drizzle with saffron mixture. Sprinkle with caramelised onion. Cover with lid.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 25 minutes. Remove. Stand, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until all of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Garnish with almonds, pistachios and coriander.