1 cup risoni
1 tblsp olive oil (20 mls)
1 onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
2 tsps ground cinnamon
500 g lamb mince
410 g can chopped tomatoes with basil and garlic
200 g jar pitted kalamata olives drained and chopped
¼ cup tomato paste (65 g)
2 tsps dried oregano leaves
1 egg lightly beaten
1 cup parmesan finely grated
1 red capsicum chopped into 2cm pieces
3 stalks celery chopped into 2cm pieces
1 cucumber chopped into 2cm pieces
drizzle olive oil
- Cook risoni in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large, deep frying pan. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add cinnamon. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add lamb. Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, or until browned.
- Add tomatoes, olives, paste and oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Pour mixture into a lightly greased 12-cup capacity ovenproof dish. Combine risoni, egg and half the parmesan in a bowl. Spread over top. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Combine salad ingredients and top with lemon juice and olive oil.
- Serve with capsicum, celery and cucumber salad.