1.2 kg diced leg of lamb
12 x 25 cm wooden skewers
6 pita bread
tzatziki, to serve
onion, thinly sliced, to serve
tomato, thinly sliced, to serve
lemon cut into wedges, to serve
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup lemon juice
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp dried oregano
4 cloves garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper, to taste
- To make marinade, combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add lamb to marinade. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight to marinate.
- Soak skewers in water for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Drain marinade from lamb. Thread lamb evenly onto skewers, allowing about four to five pieces on each.
- Heat a lightly oiled grill plate over a medium to high heat. Add skewers in two batches. Cook for about 6 to 8 minutes, turning occasionally, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Lightly cover with foil to keep warm.
- Cook two pita bread at a time, on same grill plate, for about 1 minute on each side, or until lightly toasted.
- Serve souvlaki on pita bread with tzatziki, onion, tomato and lemon wedges.