125 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
½ cup caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla bean paste
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 cups plain flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 cup icing sugar mixture
50 g unsalted butter, chopped
½ cup milk
3 cups shredded coconut
- Grease two x 12-hole round-based patty pans (1 1/2 tablespoon capacity). Sprinkle with 2 tablespoon caster sugar.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating between each addition until combined.
- Gently stir in combined sifted flour and baking powder and milk in two batches, until combined. Divide evenly between prepared pan holes. Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 15 minutes.
- To make chocolate mixture, sift combined 1 cup icing sugar mixture and 1/4 cup cocoa powder into a heatproof bowl. Add 50g chopped unsalted butter and 1/2 cup milk. Whisk over a saucepan of simmering water until combined. Cool.
- Dip sponges into chocolate mixture. Roll in shredded coconut.