¾ cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup self-raising flour
⅓ cup cornflour
⅓ cup plain flour
2 cups flaked coconut
Milk chocolate frosting
2 x 250 g packets cream cheese, cold, chopped
1 cup icing sugar mixture
200 g milk chocolate, melted and cooled
300 ml tub thickened cream, whipped
2 cups icing sugar mixture
⅓ cup Dutch cocoa powder
¾ cup boiling water
75 g unsalted butter, melted
- Grease two 22cm round cake pans. Line with baking paper.
- Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until mixture reaches top of bowl. Transfer to a large bowl of an electric mixer. Beat for about 10 minutes, or until thick, pale and tripled in size.
- Sift flours twice onto a sheet of baking paper. Sift again over egg mixture. Use a balloon whisk to gently fold until combined. Divide evenly between prepared pans.
- Cook both pans in a moderate oven (180C) for about 20 to 23 minutes, or until golden and cake springs back when gently pressed in the centre. Remove. Stand for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack lined with baking paper to cool.
- To assemble, split each cake in half horizontally with a serrated knife. Place sponges, cut-side up, on baking paper. Using a pastry brush, dab a quarter of the syrup evenly over cut side of each sponge.
- Top with another sponge layer, cut side up. Repeat layering, finishing with a top layer of sponge, placed cut side down. Spread top and side of cake with remaining frosting. Press coconut around outside of cake. Refrigerate, uncovered, for 4 hours or overnight before serving.
- To make frosting, beat cheese in a large bowl of an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add icing sugar, beating to combine. Beat in chocolate. Fold in cream. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make syrup, sift icing sugar and cocoa into a large bowl. Whisk in water and butter until smooth.