Cooking oil spray, for greasing
½ cup caster sugar
⅔ cup self-raising flour
2 tbsp boiling water
300 ml thickened cream, whipped
⅓ cup raspberry jam
1 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
2 tbsp Dutch cocoa
20 g butter
¼ cup milk
1 cup shredded coconut
½ cup fresh raspberries, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 32 x 24cm Swiss roll tin (see tip, below) with cooking oil. Line with baking paper.
- Put eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high, using whisk attachment, for 5 minutes or until thick and pale. Sift in flour and fold in until combined. Fold in boiling water until just combined (do not over-mix).
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin and smooth surface. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden and dry to touch.
- Put a double layer of plastic wrap slightly larger than tin on a clean dry surface. Invert sponge on top. Carefully remove paper.
- While still hot, roll up sponge from 1 short side to the other, enclosing in plastic wrap as you roll. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool to room temperature.
- Unroll cooled sponge. Spread over raspberry jam followed by ½ of the cream.
- Re-roll sponge from 1 short side to the other, using plastic wrap to guide back into a roll.
- Put icing sugar mixture, Dutch cocoa, butter and milk in a medium heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir for 4 minutes or until icing is smooth and runny. Remove from heat and spoon over sponge roll, spreading to coat top and sides but leaving ends uncovered (you won’t need to use all of the chocolate icing). Scatter over 1 cup shredded coconut, then set aside in a cool place for 30 minutes to allow topping to set. Top with fresh raspberries and serve immediately with remaining cream on the side.