1¼ cups plain flour, plus extra for dusting
½ tsp caster sugar
½ tsp fine salt
20 g butter, chopped, chilled
½ cup milk
2 tsp water
1 tsp poppy seeds
1 tsp sesame seeds
- Put flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add butter. Using your fingertips, rub until mixture resembles sand. Make a well in the centre, then add milk and mix to form a soft sticky dough.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth. Enclose dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Put an oven tray in oven. Put dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut into quarters. Cover 3 pieces loosely with plastic wrap and set aside. Roll remaining piece into a rectangle about 1mm thick, 30cm long x 20cm wide.
- Transfer rolled dough to a sheet of baking paper. Brush with ¼ of the water and scatter over ¼ of both the poppy seeds and sesame seeds. Carefully remove hot tray from oven and transfer dough, still on baking paper, to hot tray.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until dough bubbles and turns light golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Return tray to oven. Repeat rolling out and cooking process with remaining pieces of dough, water and seeds. Once completely cool, break into pieces of various sizes and serve.