1 Tbsp unsalted butter, to grease
½ cup dried breadcrumbs, to dust
2 cups medium-grain rice
3 cups water
2 tsp fine salt
4 eggs, lightly beaten
150 g parmesan, finely grated
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
650 g pork and fennel sausages, skin removed
¼ cup tomato paste
Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
1 cup chicken stock
8 servings salad mix (shredded red cabbage, radish and watercress) to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 24cm springform tin with butter and dust with dried breadcrumbs.
- Wash rice until water runs clear. Put in a large saucepan with water and fine salt, then stir to combine. Bring to the boil over a high heat, then reduce heat to medium. Once craters form, cover with a lid, take off heat and set aside for 20 minutes (rice will continue to cook). Stir egg, 80g of the parmesan and parsley into rice and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add sausage, using a wooden spoon to break up meat. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute or until mixture starts to stick. Stir in 50g of the remaining parmesan and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook until completely dry. Press ²⁄³ of the rice mixture into base and side of prepared tin. Fill with sausage mixture and top with remaining rice mixture, pressing firmly to seal.
- Sprinkle over remaining parmesan, then bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Slice and serve with shredded red cabbage, radish and watercress salad.