melted unsalted butter, for greasing
75 g unsalted butter, softened
12 thick slices white bread, crusts removed
1 cup frozen raspberries
icing sugar mixture, to decorate
double cream to serve
raspberries, to serve
3 eggs, room temperature
3 egg yolks, room temperature
1 cup caster sugar
2 ½ cups milk
½ cup cooking cream
2 tsp finely grated fresh lemon rind
⅓ cup lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Brush melted butter over base and sides of a rectangular ovenproof dish (12-cup capacity).
- Spread softened butter onto one side of each bread slice. Cut in half. Arrange half the bread, buttered-side up in a single layer, slightly overlapping, over base of dish. Sprinkle over half the raspberries. Repeat with remaining bread and raspberries
- To make custard, whisk eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl. Add milk, cream, rind, juice and vanilla. Whisk to combine. Pour over bread in dish. Cover with foil. Stand for 1 hour to soak. Uncover.
- Place dish in a large roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into roasting pan for it to come halfway up the sides of the dish.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160°C) for 1 hour, or until custard is set and top is crisp and golden. Remove pan. Stand for 15 minutes
- Serve warm pudding dusted with sifted icing sugar. Serve with double cream and raspberries (optional).