3 eggs, at room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp white vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
300 ml tub thickened cream, whipped
Lemon delicious sauce
⅓ cup caster sugar
⅔ cup water
1 tbsp cornflour
50 g unsalted butter, chopped
- Trace four 10cm circles onto a sheet of baking paper. Place trace-side down on a large greased oven tray.
- Separate eggs. Place whites into a small bowl of an electric mixer. Reserve yolks for sauce.
- Beat whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating for about 8 minutes, or until thick and glossy and sugar is dissolved. Beat in cornflour, vinegar and extract. Divide mixture evenly among circles. Spread to edges to form nests.
- Cook in a very slow oven (120C) for about 45 minutes, or until firm to touch. Turn off oven. Cool pavlovas in oven for about 1 hour with door ajar. Remove.
- To make sauce, finely grate rind from one of the lemons. Juice both lemons. You will need 1/3 cup juice.
- Place rind, sugar, cornflour and reserved yolks in a medium saucepan. Whisk to combine. Whisk in juice, water and butter. Place over a medium to high heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Remove. Transfer to a jug. Stand until warm.
- Serve pavlovas topped with cream. Drizzle with warm sauce.