175 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar
1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1½ cups self-raising flour
½ cup plain flour
½ cup Greek yoghurt, plus extra to serve
⅔ cup white sugar
- Grease a 14cm x 24cm loaf pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edges.
- Beat butter, sugar and rind in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions. Mixture will look curdled at this stage. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Fold in combined sifted flours and yoghurt in two batches. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Invert onto a serving plate.
- Using a skewer, pierce all over top of cake through to the base. Gradually spoon lemon drizzle over cake, allowing it to soak in and drip down sides. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Serve cake warm or cold with extra yoghurt.
- Meanwhile, make lemon drizzle. Remove rind from one of the lemons in long, thin strips using a zester. Squeeze juice from lemons. You will need 1/3 cup. Combine rind, juice and sugar in a small bowl. Stand for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until sugar has almost dissolved.