4 free-range egg yolks
⅓ cup caster sugar
75 g unsalted butter, chopped
275 g packet frozen mini sweet tart cases
3 egg whites, room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar
- Finely grate ½ tsp rind from one lemon. Squeeze enough juice from lemons to give ¼ cup.
- Whisk rind, juice, egg yolks and sugar in a medium heatproof bowl until combined. Add butter. Sit bowl over saucepan of simmering water. Stir with a wooden spoon for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until mixture thickens. Remove. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 2 hours, or until cold.
- Meanwhile, place tart cases on a large oven tray.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 10 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove from oven. Cool. Discard foil cases.
- Return pastry cases to oven tray. Divide filling evenly among cases.
- To make meringue, beat egg whites in small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. With motor operating, gradually add sugar, 1 tblsp at a time, until dissolved. Continue to beat for a further 3 to 4 minutes, or until thick and glossy.
- Spoon meringue into a piping bag fitted with a 1½cm plain nozzle. Pipe small rounds of meringue over filling on each tart.
- Cook in a hot oven (220C) for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until meringue is lightly browned. Remove from oven. Cool. Serve.