3 medium eggplants
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
100 g Parmesan cheese, cubed
100 g fresh mozzarella, cubed
1 brown onion, halved
3 cloves garlic
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
2 - 3 sprigs fresh oregano or 2 tsp dried oregano
2 tomatoes, halved
150 g dried red lentils
100 g red wine or vegetable stock
100 g butter
50 g cornflour
2 egg yolks
1 pinch Himalayan pink salt flakes
400 g milk
freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking dish with baking paper. Cut eggplants into halves and remove the flesh from the centre forming a hollowed out ‘boat’ with about a 2cm border. Salt the eggplants well (including the removed centres) and allow to drain in a colander for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel and place the hollowed out halves onto the baking dish. Drizzle boats with ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil and roast about 10 minutes until starting to soften. Roughly cube the eggplant from the centres.
- Place cheeses into Thermomix bowl and mill 10 sec/speed 10. Remove from bowl and set aside. Place onion, garlic, spices, oregano and add remaining 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil into Thermomix bowl and chop 3 sec/speed 6. Sauté 5 min/Varoma/speed 1.
- Add tomatoes, cubed eggplant, lentils and wine. Cook 15 min/100°C/Reverse/speed 2/MC off. Remove filling from bowl.
- To make béchamel sauce, place all ingredients into Thermomix bowl and cook 8 min/80°C/speed 4. Add half the milled cheeses and stir 10 sec/speed 4.
- Fill eggplants with lentil mixture. Top with béchamel and finish with the remaining cheese. Return to the oven for at least 20 minutes until eggplant is well cooked and sauce is browned and bubbling. Serve with a Greek salad, if desired.