12 egg whites, at room temperature
3 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup caster sugar
2 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind plus extra to serve
1 cup plain flour
1 cup icing sugar mixture
1- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- Grease a 22cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Place egg whites, juice and cream of tartar in a large bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on high speed until foamy. Gradually add half the sugar, one tblsp at a time, beating between each addition until mixture is thick and glossy. Beat in seeds, vanilla and rind until combined.
- Add sifted flour and remaining sugar. Gently fold in with a whisk until just combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Cool completely in pan.
- Turn cake out onto a wire rack. Drizzle lemon icing over top and side of cake. Decorate with lemon rind. Stand at room temperature until set.
- To make lemon icing, sift icing sugar into a bowl. Stir in enough juice until a pouring consistency.