5 soft corn tortillas
1½ tsp olive oil
1 jalapeño chilli, deseeded, cut into thin strips
100 g mozzarella, grated
2 tbsp half-fat crème fraîche
½ small pack coriander leaves, chopped
For the guacamole
2 medium, ripe avocados, halved, stoned, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tbsp lime juice
2 spring onions, ends trimmed, finely chopped
2 tbsp chopped coriander
2 drops, Tabasco sauce
For the beans
400 g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 garlic clove, crushed
¼ tsp mild or medium chilli powder
¼ tsp ground cumin
For the tomato salsa
4 tomatoes, seeds removed and finely chopped
¼ small red onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp olive oil
- Heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. For each tortilla, brush both sides with some of the oil, and cut into 12 wedges. Repeat. Put all the wedges on 2 large baking sheets and bake for about 10 mins or until golden and crisp. Remove and set aside. Turn up the oven to 200C/180C/gas 6.
- For the guacamole, put the chopped avocados in a bowl and roughly mash with a fork, keeping some texture. Stir in the lime juice, spring onions, coriander and season with the Tabasco and seasoning. Set aside.
- For the beans, tip them into a bowl, stir in the garlic, chilli and cumin powders, roughly mash with a fork, then mix in about 2 tbsp of water, or enough to make a rough mash. Season and set aside.
- For the salsa, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, lime juice and oil. Season and set aside.
- Ten minutes before you’re ready to serve, scatter the tortilla chips over a large baking tray or ovenproof platter. Spoon the beans in little mounds over the chips, then spoon over the salsa (if the salsa has been made ahead, use a slotted spoon so you leave any tomato liquid behind that could soften the chips). Scatter over the jalapeño chilli and mozzarella.
- Bake for 4-5 mins, just long enough to melt the cheese and warm things through, but not over-brown the tortilla chips. Remove and spoon over the crème fraîche and scatter with coriander, and put the guacamole in 1 or 2 small dishes on the side. Serve immediately.